Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Getting the Juices Flowing


Day two has begun!! I am thrilled and bubbling with ideas by the second.

Last night, as I was struggling to fall asleep, my mind began to wonder. Thank God I began to think about this project and not something else that can mess with my mind, but nevertheless...an idea was formed!!

In my junior year of high school, I participated in a creative writing class. We were assigned to write a short story, about 6 or 7 pages in length, that we came up with, characters and all. Now, not to toot my own horn, but I was pretty dang proud of the story I had written; the plot was enticing, the comedy prime, the suspense almost killer (okay, I might be bragging a little). I never gave it a title, since that wasn't required, but it was one of my favorite things that I've ever written. You'll also never guess what the "tone" element of my short story was...dramatic comedy!

The struggle of creating a brand new story off the top of my already-spinning head has been lifted! With this story in hand, I can finally begin the official process. You can read my short story here if you like, just to get a hint and what this upcoming film opening will be about.  Now I have to pull elements from the beginning of my story to compose an "introduction" type scenario. This is where I am assuming I will find most of my struggle.

At first I had a feeling that adapting my short story into a film would be a struggle, but my research shows that many great films have come from short stories! Total Recall was actually based off of the short story, We Can Remember It For You Wholesale by Phillip K. Dick in 1966. The fact that such a famous film came from a written short story really motivates me to stick with my idea. As I progress in this process I'm sure I'll find more short story-film adaptations that I'll be happy to share with you.

In the meantime, I've got to get started!!


With growing appreciation and gratitude for Phillip K. Dick and Arnold Schwarzenegger,


Amalia Gonzalez


"Total Recal." IMDb. IMDb.com. Web. 08 Mar. 2016.

"We Can Remember It For You Wholesale." RSS. Web. 08 Mar. 2016.

"Top 20 Short Story to Film Adaptations." The Telegraph. Telegraph Media Group. Web. 08 Mar. 2016.

No comments:

Post a Comment